As we begin this schoolyear, I decided that one of their first writing assignments would be to compose a descriptive paragraph. NO descriptive writing is NOT something that is tested but…… as a Professional Educator, I decided that having them focus on “showing” was an effective way to start of the year.
Their mission was to decorate a figure from the selection of Go Noodle coloring sheets and write a description that is accurate enough that someone reading it could recreate their monster.
Some of them did better job of accurately describing their monsters than others and it was obvious when we compared the original monster to the recreated one. Those students who received skimpy descriptions immediately expressed their frustration about not being able to effectively recreate the monsters. I reminded them that the purpose of the assignment was to show how important it is to use words wisely.I am glad that I gave them that assignment. It ws a great way for them to realize that when describing something that they need to be accurate and succinct.
- Objectives: Get acquainted
- Assignments: 1. Complete ‘Find Someone Who’ 2. Starburst Writing
- Products: 1. Completed ‘Find Someone Who’ chart 2. Responses to Starburst Writing
- Objectives: Highlight importance of being descriptive when writing
- Assignments: 1.Respond to … I know. I feel. I believe 2. Color ‘go noodle’ coloring sheet, describe it, exchange descriptions and try to recreate someone else’s monster.
- Products: Original monster, description and recreated monster
- Objectives: Getting to know one another
- Assignments: Students will decorate a Mandala that represents some of their ideals
- Products: Decorated Mandala
- Objectives: Team building
- Assignments: Build the tallest and strongest structure possible using spaghetti, marshmallows, string and tape
- Products: Final spaghetti structure
The 5 things that I want to get done the first week with the students.
- Three community building activities
- Find someone who..with selfie – this activity requires the students to locate other classmates with certain skills or experiences. I hope that this activity allows us to mingle and learn a little bit about each other.
- tallest structure wins via our Marshmellow Challenge – this activity requires that groups construct the tallest structure possible using 20 pieces of spaghetti, tape and string. Their construct should be strong enough to hold a marshmallow. The purpose of this activity allows for them to test out the parameters of efficient group work so that we can develop our rules surrounding class and group behavior.
- ABCs of school – students are to describe school using words that begin with every letter of the alphabet.
- Writing piece – Reflection of our work experience in class.
- Introduction of rules – I want to show a PowerPoint that discusses acceptable procedures and classroom rules.
- List of Ingredients – students will list 10 ingredients that they are made of.
- Pretest – rut row
Hopefully I will be able to get most of this done.
Posted from Edublogs for Android
I am a classroom teacher who is trying to BE THE CHANGE that I always talk about. I want to become a teacherpreneur and branding is part of that process.
This is Day 4 of TEDEd Challenge and the lesson is about the Declaration of Independence.
In June 1776, a little over a year after the start of the American Revolutionary War, the US Continental Congress huddled together in a hot room in Philadelphia to talk independence. Kenneth C. Davis dives into some of the lesser known facts about the process of writing the Declaration of Independence and questions one very controversial omission.
Watch. Think. Dig deeper. Discuss this lesson to learn more.
Posted from Edublogs for Android
Today was the first TEDEd Challenge. What challenge you ask? Well TEDEd will share one lesson a day during July to keep our brains in shape this summer. To participate, you must complete the lesson by watching a video and answering then answer a series of questions.
Here is the link to sign up
This is a great way to check out the video lessons if you are not familiar with TEDEd lessons. This first video explains the effects of sugar on the body.
DAY 1: How sugar affects the brain
When you eat something loaded with sugar, your taste buds, your gut and your brain all take notice.
(I am trying out my phone app for this post)
What happens when you gather a room full of Lousiana bloggers in a library on a Saturday? The 1st Annual Louisiana Teacher Blogger Meetup, of course. Jasmine McClain was our hostess with the mostest and she carried out our theme, “Future’s So Bright, We Gotta Wear Our Shades,” fabulously. In my mind, it set the tone for the rest of the day. I was overwhelmed by the vision and support of the woman that I met last Saturday.
The time and effort that Jasmine and her crew spent on the decor, agenda and treats to make sure that we were all comfortable as we spent time with one another learning the ends and outs of blogging and branding was greatly appreciated. Jovial Jessica talked to us about blogging and then Marvelous Mia presented information about TpT. I heard about ways to grow subscriptions through blog hops and link ups. Our conversations centered around fonts and clipart, ways to follow creative commons parameters and helpful tax tips.
I am not a ‘TpT’er and don’t know if I will ever become one but the information that I gathered from all of these women was so empoweing that I can officially declare to the world that …I took the leap and became the bomb dot com as
I took the leap and became the bomb dot com as MsBisOnline.com. Whoot. Whoot. I did a quick search of my name, Ms B is Online and I saw that the results came back as me sooo…. I claimed it.
Will I decide to sell my material??? I don’t know. Saturday was such an overwhelming experience and I learned great tips from all of these Louisiana Blogging Women. I know that
- I will continue to present around the region.
- I will continue to connect with these ladies and others.
- I will continue to make connections with other classes so that my scholars can see how small this world wide web really is.
- I will continue to define what it means to be Ms. B. who is Online.
Please contact Jasmine if you have any questions about signing up for next year. You can find her here at Blog, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram . I know that you all want some of our goodies. Sorry that you missed out on the kernels of knowledge, but you can enter for a chance to win one of two swag bags via our Swag Bag Contest.
Widgets that work to connect blogs together are new to me but there is a Rafflecopter widget that will allow you to register to win one of the bags.
June 4th and June 5th I had the pleasure of attending the 2nd Louisiana Teacher Leaders Summit and I had a blast. I enjoyed the sessions that I attended and I can’t wait to use the new resources that I saw. Click here to see many of the awesome things that were shared with us.